Butternut Squash Mac n’ Cheese with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, and Apples
- ½ box whole grain elbow macaroni (about 2.5 cups dry)
- 1 cup canned butternut squash puree
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup onions, sliced thinly
- 1 large crispy apple, chopped or grated
- 4 tablespoons crumbled bacon
- Heat butter in a skillet over low heat. When melted, add onions and let caramelize for at least 30 minutes for the best flavor. Keep heat on low/low-medium.
- Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain and return to pan over low heat. Add butternut squash, chicken broth, evaporated milk, and cream cheese. When combined, add in salt.
- Add onions and apples to the pasta. Stir to combine and add a tablespoon more broth or milk if needed.
- Just before serving, mix in cheese and stir until melted. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon bacon.
NotesBecause there’s very little butter, it can “dry out” quickly, especially once off the heat. Add a tablespoon of water, milk, or broth if you need to get it back to its original creaminess.Serves 4.
Must try this. It looks super indulgent and indulgence is my love language.